Our latest tweets...Tweets by @TeachKEC
Skills Test Guidance
If you are thinking of applying for a teacher training course, you will need to take the NCTL numeracy and literacy skills tests as part of the application process, and ensure you have passed them both before the start of the course.
When registering, you will be asked the question 'Do you require any assistance with the assessment?'. You should answer 'yes' if you have previously required any special arrangements in a test or public exam. In addition, you should answer 'yes' if you speak English as an additional language as extra time will be allowed.
Taking the skills tests
The first attempt at taking your skills tests in each subject is provided free of charge.
Skills tests are delivered via the national network of Learn Direct Test Centres. Test centres are also available in Paris, Madrid and Frankfurt.
- You should arrive at the test centre at least 15 minutes before your appointment, to allow for security checks. If you arrive late, you may not be permitted to take the test;
- ITT applicants will need to provide evidence of their application. This could be a copy of the application form or confirmation of receipt;
- Remember to bring your booking confirmation email to the test centre;
- Bring your relevant identification, as detailed on the ID requirements page;
- Read and understand the test rules before arriving at the test centre and adhere to the rules at all times once you are in the test centre;
- The waiting area, in the majority of test centres, is designed to facilitate the needs of candidates; there are no provisions for childcare;
- When you have finished the test, your results will be available from the test administrator.
Practice tests are available on the Department for Education website. We strongly recommend you take at least two practice tests.
How many times can I take the tests?
You can book up to two resits if required, but you will need to pay for these. If you fail the skills tests three times you will not be eligible to train to teach with any provider for two years, after which time you can retake the tests. If you have applied to the King Edward's Consortium, please contact us for advice before making a third attempt at the tests.
I have finally done it - I have changed career and become what I was meant to be! It's the best feeling in the world!